Tacos Dorados de Papa is a simple and vegetarian Mexican dish made with creamy spiced mashed potatoes and cheese. Not only are these tacos quick and easy, you can modify this recipe to meet your needs.
- 1 lb Russet potatoes, peeled cut into 2-inch chunks
- Corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Queso (optional)
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Other desired toppings
- In a large pot of salted water, add the potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain the water and return the potatoes to the pan over medium heat to evaporate any excess water.
- Remove from heat and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mashed potatoes among the tortillas (3-4 tablespoons) and fold in half. Secure with a toothpicks, if desired. You may also roll them up like taquitos (secure with toothpick if needed).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Working in batches, fry tacos until golden and crispy, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Remove toothpicks from tacos and serve with queso fresco dip, or your favorite taco accompaniments such as cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, hot sauce, sour cream, etc.