Dal Yellow Mung is a common comfort food in India that is jam packed with hearty, protein packed ingredients. This delicious Indian meal is also vegetarian and gluten free.
- 3/4 cup dal (lentils)
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp whole mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 red kashmiri chillies, broken into small pieces
- Water to boil dal
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil dal in a pressure cooker (preferred and faster) or in a pot with water about 2 inches above lentils
- After the whistle blows (about 10 minutes), turn down the flame or keep the cooker on for 10-15 mins then turn off
- In a pan, put two tablespoons of oil over medium/high heat
- Add in the seasonings one at a time: asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, curry leaves, and chopped onion until onion is golden brown. Do not burn the mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add in the broken up Kashmiri chillies, fry for a bit
- Add in cooked dal from cooker/pot or add the seasoning mix into the cooker instead, bring to boil for a few minutes and then turn off heat
- Add chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Enjoy with rice, chapati or roti!