How to Wear Long Necklaces
Posted on 21 July 2017
Have you ever really thought about how you wear your jewelry? It may seem like a non-issue, but you do not want to ruin your perfect outfit by wearing your statement piece in a way that is not flattering or does not really make sense. While you have complete freedom to wear your long necklaces however you like, we want to give you a few tips on how to wear long necklaces in a way that completes your outfit effortlessly!
The Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing Long Necklaces
- Do Wear Long Necklaces with High Cut Shirts: High cut shirts are the perfect backdrop for a long necklace. High necks, high-low silhouettes, and high collars give you a nicely proportioned look when paired with a long, dangling necklace. Our Palm Necklace, for example, would be just the perfect touch against a high cut shirt or blouse of any color or pattern. This dainty, gold leaf adds some extra sparkle to both dressy and casual outfits.
- Don’t Wear Long Necklaces with Overly Long Clothes: While long necklaces might work with some long dresses or oversized sweaters, a good rule of thumb is to avoid long necklaces with long clothes. It can give one the look of drowning in their clothes at worst, and just look a little off at best. Long lines are better contrasted with shorter pieces, which is why long necklaces work best with multiple pieces such as tank tops and jeans, shorter skirts (at the knee or above!) and flowy tops, shirts, or blouses, or the like. If you’re planning on wearing a long dress, try sticking with short necklaces that come to rest below the clavicle or just above the chest for a look that really works.
- Do Layer Up Your Long Necklaces: A great way to wear long necklaces is to layer them. The layering effect looks nice on both casual and dressy outfits, and always adds a little something extra to your look. We have a number of pieces that can work well when layered together. For example, our beautiful Voyager Necklace is the perfect candidate for layering. Available in both brass and silver, the Voyager Necklace pairs well with the Palm Necklace, the Solstice Necklace, and some shorter necklaces we have in our inventory. You can also shop the Trevi Necklace, which is layered all on its own!
- Don’t Mismatch Long Necklaces with Your Outfits: While some long necklaces can be worn with any outfit, some are not as versatile. Some long necklaces are total statement pieces that are meant to be worn with a fierce, dressy look. You don’t want to throw on old jeans and a t-shirt with a statement pendant, brilliant pearls, or other classy jewels. There’s dressing an outfit up, but then there’s missing the mark completely. Be careful with how you mix and match!
- Do Wear Long Necklaces with Casual Outfits for a Chic Yet Relaxed Look: Casual outfits composed of cute shorts or pants, a sleek tank or blouse, or even an open flannel over a casual dress are the perfect canvases for long necklaces. Pieces like the Chevron Necklace, the Vale Necklace, and Willow Necklace would all look great with outfits that are polished yet casual. Again, you want to create a nice contrast between your pieces without going overboard. A long necklace and a casual outfit can go a long way!
- Don’t Wear Long Necklaces with Crop Tops: Though you do not want to wear long necklaces with overly long pieces of clothing, you also don’t want to wear long necklaces with extremely short pieces of clothing, such as crop tops, either. As crop tops usually come to rest just above or just at the belly button, wearing a long necklace with the top could make you look a little off. There are, however, some exceptions when it comes to crop tops. If you are wearing a cropped top, cropped sweater, cropped tank, or the like with high-waisted bottoms, the outfit suddenly becomes perfect for a long necklace! High-waisted skirts, shorts, and pants help even things out and give the look a cleaner, crisper canvas against which you can display your long necklace.
These do’s and don’ts may seem a little complicated, but they work to help you get the perfect outfit every time. Long necklaces are a lovely accessory that can complete any outfit—but only if you know how to wear them! When you’re ready to purchase more long necklaces, be sure to visit our online store! With us, you can get quality pieces that look great and make a difference in the world.